Now We Are Four!

KW joined us on November 10, 2010. Thanks for following our journey as a family!

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Hammer Time

One thing I tend to do with some regularity is to begin on a course that I know has serious obstacles to successful completion, but to start out anyway. I always think I can just deal with it as it comes. So, when we got to the last day of school before Christmas, and I had not yet made fudge with Lee for our Advent unit, I just went for it. The only obstacle was that the kids were really close to that moment where lunch has been delayed too long (read: meltdowns are imminent).

We made the fudge, and I put it in the freezer. I could have chosen the fridge. I could have left it sitting out while we ate, then stuck it in the freezer when we were close to finishing (I actually thought of that idea several days after the fact). But we put it in the freezer. After all, I needed to get lunch on the table.

And, it froze. When tried to put cookie cutters in it, nothing happened. After trying several kitchen tools, I sent Lee for the hammer that came in his tool bench. He returned from the playroom, and we got down to business. It took a long time, but he was so proud to unveil his dessert at the family Christmas a couple of days later.

No comments: