Now We Are Four!

KW joined us on November 10, 2010. Thanks for following our journey as a family!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Darn It

Did you think I forgot Sewing Accountability 2013? I didn't. On the evening of February 28th, I sat down with a few items I bought with Christmas money a couple of years ago. A couple of years, you ask? Yes, as in Christmas 2010. I needed to learn how to use them before I am going to crack open the book from Christmas 2011.
In case you don't have these items laying around your house, they are a darning egg, yarn, some special needles whose name escapes me at the moment, and a pair of Little Man's socks with a hole in the toe.
I slipped the sock over the egg and found a tutorial online on how to darn. It was not hard, and looked good, but I feel like it does not meet the basic requirements of mending via darning. There were knots involved, and I could certainly feel the seam I had made. The whole point is to mend the sock in a way that will leave it comfortable in the shoes, and prevent rubbing and blistering on feet. Unfortunately, Little Man cannot wear these socks anymore, so I can't test it out. I did see a pair of B's socks in the wash yesterday with a hole in each heel. I may be pulling out my supplies in the next night or two to test out a new tutorial.
I did like the technique enough to use it on one of my favorite sweater's sleeve. It's going to take a lot more than a little hole in the arm to force me to get rid of this unisex J Crew relic. That's right, Mom. Get excited. This baby will be back next Christmas!
Last - but definitely not least - I mended these pj pants of B's. He said he didn't care how my experiment turned out (i.e., how the pants looked after I took to them with needle and thread), he was NOT cutting them into dust rags.
So, there you have it. Month Two of Sewing Accountability 2013. I am pretty sure my sister is not even in the game, but she is free to answer the challenge.

No comments: