Now We Are Four!

KW joined us on November 10, 2010. Thanks for following our journey as a family!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Katie Wilkes is Born!

After my water broke, I knew labor would be much harder, but I didn't realize that - in my case - it would be non-stop until Katie Wilkes arrived. Luckily (very luckily) this only lasted about ten minutes! The very first contraction I had, I felt the urge to push, then I was just pushing. I tried to stop and wait until the nurses or doctor said it was ok, but I just couldn't stop. Bryan said they had run to get the doctor, and he was walking into the room, pulling on his scrubs and show covers with each step. He sat down, whisked the bottom of the bed away, and they told me to move down. I just kept thinking, "Can't they let me wait until this contraction is over?" The problem was, the contractions did not really have any breaks in between, and Katie Wilkes was already peeking out into the world! I imagine it was a little like a scene in a movie - you know, the scene where you turn to someone and say, "This is so unrealistic. Babies aren't born like that." Well, not all the time, at least! She had little bruises all over her head and face, she came so fast!

This was a weird part of the labor experience for us. We had a bag packed with things we could use to be more comfortable in the hospital during the final hours of labor. My mother was going to help me breathe. My mother-in-law was going to read Scripture. My sister was going to take pictures of us for KW's baby book. In fact, no one was there! It all happened so fast, and my mom and sister only arrived three minutes before she was born!

I am so glad I finally called and left for the hospital, or this baby may have been born on Northside Drive!

1 comment: