Now We Are Four!

KW joined us on November 10, 2010. Thanks for following our journey as a family!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Do Not Deviate

One great thing about homeschooling these days is that many have gone before me. They have written entire books describing activities and experiments, what steps to follow, and what materials to use. So I don't have to learn the hard way. Right?

Last week, we were doing a simple pouring activity with KW. A couple of plastic bottles, a funnel, and some rice. Well, the book said to use rice. Little Miss Smartie Pants (that's me) thought she would change it up a bit and use something else I had on hand. I didn't think I would use it in a meal, but I will definitely use my rice. Save money and clean out the pantry cabinets. Badda-bing, badda-boom.

My grain of choice? Millet.

Did you know?  Millet somehow channels a lot of static electricity. I remembered as soon as I opened the canister and the little pellets started climbing the wall. No matter. I was still thinking of how I would be able to use this millet again and again. I am SO smart!

Did you also know? Millet is round. As in, it rolls. As in, when you do a pouring lesson on a hard wood floor with millet, you will end up with millet in the far reaches of your kitchen.
Which leads to a practical life training in... vacuuming!

No comments: