Now We Are Four!

KW joined us on November 10, 2010. Thanks for following our journey as a family!

Monday, July 8, 2013

Inhibitions

I am sure I won't get much resistance when I say inhibitions are learned. Talking to children, playing with children, and dancing with children confirms that. I have a friend who told me she would participate with children more fully when other adults are not around. I am the exact same way.

So I never make one comment about the things my kids do, and I try not to laugh. Even though they are so cute, I can already see the look of hesitation on KW's face when I giggle at something, or try to get her to say something for someone else to hear. I promised I would never try to get my kids to perform, and this sweet, unsure look reminds me why.

Last week, we made a trip to the Levitt Shell for a concert. We brought pizzas for a picnic,
then waited for the rain-delayed show to start.
Little Man and his cousin immediately started dancing when the music started. I loved the way he used his arms, hips, and booty to get into the music. He didn't even care when he saw me filming him.


When we left to head home, Little Man told me it was boring. I explained that sometimes an event has things the grown-ups like, but we thought he would have fun dancing and playing on the lawn, too. He replied, "My favorite part was Arden, but none of the grown-up stuff." 

The kids were so pooped, and both keep talking about how loud it was, so it may be a little while before we try this again. KW says, "I don't want to go to the concert with the drums and the tunnel." 

At the very least, it reminded me that we need to have a little more music and dancing around the house. You know, to keep those inhibitions at bay.

No comments: